Antiques furniture of the Victorian age can make a huge difference to the look and elegance of your home. Victorian
Furniture is so termed, as this was mainly designed during the reign of Queen Victoria of the British Empire, a period which began in 1837 and ended in 1901. Victorian furniture further adds to the class and sophistication of a home, making it all the more elegant. Be it the dining space or the bedroom, the home can look classy with a collection of Victorian furniture.
- Different type of pattern
The main characteristics of Victorian furniture can be seen in the intricate carvings with natural images like floral patterns, leafy patterns and curving lines. The Art Nouveau which came at a much later stage is quite similar, making it difficult to judge if a piece is indeed Victorian or not. Victorian Furniture can be further determined by its angular shapes and lines along with the carvings. A Victorian chair or table basically has a straight shape with curves along the bottom of the sofa below the cushions, the legs of the chair and the back of the seat. These pieces also have curved moldings and decorative friezes.
- Various material used
The Victorians loved embellishments in various form like embossing, tassels and layers of material. This type of furniture gives that extra attention to texture and details. This is where Art Nouveau is different and lacking, as there are no frills. So if you come across a piece with lots of tassels and fancy carving, probably you have come across a Victorian piece.
The upholstery used during this time was plush and concentrated on luxurious material and textures like velvet. The colors used were dark, rich and lush. Using different colors of different shades and patterns usually accented backgrounds which were plain white. Furniture which was upholstered also had tassels and embellishments.
The furniture of the Victorian Era was characterized by large sideboards, heavy pedestals and pieces in bulkier proportions. The designs were able to provide balance and character to the decorations of the piece.
Most of the pieces of Victorian Furniture were made of walnut, rosewood or mahogany. The replicas of these are of stained cheery hues and deep brown to give them a look of the Victorian Era.
Identifying a piece of Victorian furniture might get difficult if it is the first time you are choosing to decorate your house with such furniture. To start off, it is recommended that you grab a book and first get an idea of what Victorian furniture looked like in the first place. Getting knowledge of the different sub-periods at that time and what type of furniture was made with their basic characteristics might be of some help.
It gives you that extra confidence when buying Victorian furniture if you first go to auctions and get firsthand knowledge of what types of Victorian Furniture are available and what prices people pay for them. Finally, you can also find out someone in the family, or a friend or even a dealer who can give you all the knowledge regarding Victorian Furniture.
It is a myth that all Victorian furniture has the same look. With a number of styles during the different decades of that period, there are a number of types of Victorian Furniture, like Modern Gothic or Egyptian revival. With the choice of so many different styles, there is no way you will not find one you would like. There is a variety of furniture catering to the various tastes. Victorian furniture from the different time periods will add to your home the elegance and class besides adding luxury and style. Although a little on the expensive side, this furniture is long lasting and reliable.
When you want to remodel your bathroom or construct a new one, you definitely need to look beyond the tiles and the cabinets. Your shower screen also needs to be replaced or reconstructed:
- These days there are various types, styles and designs of shower screens that you can purchase from the market.
- There are also varied types of shower screens that are available in the market like framed shower screens, semi-framed shower screens, and also frameless shower screens.
However, just by wanting to install a shower screen is not enough you will also have to take a lot of things into consideration when you are looking forward to the installation of a shower screen. So, what are those things that you have to look into?
Things To Consider Before You Install A Shower Screen:
- The first thing that you need to take into consideration is the door space of your bathroom. You will also have to take into consideration the fact about the total area or size of your shower and also the space availability within that enclosure.
- These factors are important to keep a note of that is because the total floor space will help you decide the exact size of a shower screen you will require.
- Bathrooms that have got enough door space shower screens that have got pivot doors which can open both sides can be installed.
- However, if you have a bathroom that does not have enough floor space you can certainly install shower screens that have got unobtrusive sliding doors. The other option that you can take into consideration is a bi-fold shower door.
Size of Your Bathroom
The overall size of your bathroom is another important factor that you must also consider. This will help you choose whether you need a big or small shower screen. If you have a small sized bathroom then clear glass shower screens is a great option in order to create a minimalist look and it also does not make space look small in size. However, if you have a spacious bathroom then it is best that you install a frosted glass or tinted shower screens which are also framed. This will certainly not compromise with the proportion of the bathroom. You can also choose frameless shower screens if you feel that you have a small bathroom as they do not have any bulky attachments.
Easy To Maintain
- The other factor that you will have to take into consideration is the maintenance of a shower screen. If shower screens are not maintained properly then the entire look of your bathroom will spoil and it will also look very messy.
- If you install shower screens that have glass panes then you will have less hassle to clean them in comparison to the frosted glass types.
- If you opt for frameless shower screens then also you will not face any problem cleaning them. So, when you go to buy shower screens make sure that you gather information about the maintenance of the shower screens.
Benefits of a glass shower screen
A glass and a semi-framed shower screen have numerous benefits including:
- Their installation is relatively simple and they require less maintenance.
- These screens reduce the internal steam if you take a steam bath, and they also reduce the condensation on the mirrors.
- They are more hygienic and sanitary than the plastic curtains.
There are a number of places from where you can buy shower screens in your town or city. However, it is always smart to do a thorough research before buying them. You start by looking into the Internet. This is by far the best place from where you can get all the information that you require.
This blog written for reader to provide useful information about Shower Screens.