A pipe that extends vertically from one floor level to the next for the purpose of carrying or distributing water, steam, or gas is called a riser. It is also called as a riser pipe line or riser main. This is a usually made of metal or plastic. We also find split riser pipes to cover electrical wires that run outside the house and is exposed. The spilt end is turned towards the wall or building providing total coverage. Metal risers last longer than plastic ones. In rare cases where a heavy vehicle runs over the plastic pipe, the string may break. This pipe is to be installed when a full-fledged construction goes on, or when you need to renovate your home:
- We have seen in this in multiple places in any regular building. A pipe to distribute water to multiple levels and to different locations in a house, to distribute cooking gas etc.Riser pipes also flush out water from the terrace during rainy seasons.
- Usually all these riser pipes are put in places during construction or elsewhere when any house is redone.
- Plumbing risers are commonly made of copper metal, so they are strong. They are also corrugated, which allows them to be bent.
You can find several types of riser pipes in the online market:
The online market has plenty of suppliers who sell riser pipes at a wholesale price when you buy it in bulk. This may work out for you when you are building your home as this is when you will need a new drain line and water lines to install. Generally, the plumbers put in a diagram to identify these lines. A plumber draws the plumbing riser diagram. It consists of water, drain line and vent line installed. But it so happens that you will not have the diagram or even if you have the experts may recommend you to redo the piping. Not only is this nightmarish, but also a bane to the neighborhood. Your walls, flooring, etc. need to be removed piece by piece to replace it with new ones.
You need to replace the pipe when it starts showing faulty signs:
Most engineers recommend that the replacement be done all at once. Otherwise, the workers run the risk of creating more problems by attaching new flexible risers to old risers and causing breaks on the line.
There are different types of risers. To name a few:
- Wet riser: The pipes are kept permanently charged with water.
- Dry risers: A pipe is maintained empty of water is called a dry riser. This is found in the fire suppression equipment. Dry risers have pipes that is dry and these pipes are installed in buildings by experts or by trained personnel. These pipes are capable of being charged with water to extinguish fire.
- Sprinkling riser: This riser used in the garden or in commercial buildings and kitchens to sprinkle water on detection of smoke. For proper functioning of the riser pipes it is important to get a servicing done for the riser pipes because:
- Risers are prone to neglect and damage.
- Severe penalties when the flexible rising main failing to work for the Fire Service department
- Leaking from a wet riser could cause substantial damage.
To avoid the above mentioned damage, ensure these steps are taken care of: –
- A visual inspection every six months must be conducted.
- An annual pressure test must be conducted.
- Electric pump inspection services per year must be conducted.
- Flow test per year must be conducted.
There are different types of risers that you can use for domestic as well as for industrial purposes. For the measurement and the materials, you can consult with the local dealers to get the best risers.