The hydronic floor heating is one sustainable way to make the house warm in the chilly winter months. The system can be installed in different kind of surfaces that includes timber, tiles, marble, stone, carpet and slate. The system is highly sophisticated with energy efficiency feature that allows the warm liquid to move under the surface to keep the house warm. The liquid runs through tubing under the surface and requires a radiator to heat it. The temperature of the water can be controlled using a thermostat. The radiant heating has become very popular because of the high features, comfort and energy efficiency.
Way the system works
It has already been explained that in hydronic floor heating there are pipes under the surface board circulating hot water which radiates the heat into the room. Now it is important to understand the way this system works. The system works in three basic ways:
- There is a boiler system that heats the liquid present very fast using conduction.
- Then the hot liquid is forced to circulate through the pipes under the surface. The different kinds of flooring can get heated up using the hot water through conduction and the heat is radiated into the room too.
- The final stage is to radiate the heat from the floor to the room.
The system is so effective because of the transfer of heat that occurs in two ways that is conduction and radiation. You can enjoy heat that is consistent, as it radiates from the floor as well as the solid things that are present in the room.
Benefits of the system
There are some major benefits of the radiated floor heating systems over some convectional heating systems. Some of them are:
- The heat emitters of the general heating systems are usually placed outside which do not look good. At the same time this makes the placement of the furniture difficult as well. But with the hydronic floor heating system the floor itself is the heat emitter. Thus, there is no need to worry about the look of the place or compromise on the arrangement of the furniture. Now you can get beautifully decorated home that is warm thermally.
- The heating systems normally heats the air directly which can lead to heat loss very quickly. But the radiated heating system heats the surface of the items in the room along with the floor, which in-turn heats the air around. This reduces the loss of heat, making the room comfortable. The room temperature at the lower level near the floor is higher than that above. As a result it feels light on the head with low temperature and legs feel warm with less heat loss. This creates an internal environment that is highly comfortable.
- The floor heating system is highly durable and lasts really long. If fitted with the concrete slab, then it can last till the slab. Hence it is even ideal for basements, recreational area, garage etc.
- The forced air heating system moves dust, germs as well as smell along with the warm air. The hydronic heating system on the other hand circulates the heated water which radiates heat into the room. This removes the issues of moving of air that brings dust and antibodies along with it. The clean system is ideal for people who suffer from allergies.
- The hydronic system does not make much noise and helps in creating a silent environment inside the house.
- There is high initial cost involved in the installation of the hydronic heating system. The radiant system is highly efficient system and helps in cutting the cost of energy bills. This makes up for the entire cost of the equipment installed.