The most common inconvenience which every house owner has to face is the blocked drains. It is not merely an inconvenience rather it is disgusting, odor producing and unhygienic issue faced by everyone. No sooner the drains get clogged, water starts accumulating in the sinks and overflow situation often occurs. The more you delay, the worst the situation would get. If you get it cleaned periodically, then such situations can be ignored. However, when the foreign objects drop accidentally or intentionally into the drains, it can be a big mess.
Few Causes of Blocked Drains and Their Solution
In the indoor plumbing, blocked drains are quite a common issue fixed by the experts. However, you can easily ignore it if while knowing prominent causes and its solution.
- Hair and Dirty Flakes: The most common reason due to which the drains of the bathroom get clogged is the hair and the dirty flakes that usually binds with the soap lather and slips into the drainage pipe. As this process is bit continuous, a huge lump of hair sticks to the walls of the pipe thereby reducing the flow of water quickly or as before. At a very first instance, one should add a cup of boiling water onto the drain. Don’t worry, the problem isn’t solved.
The hair has to be removed now. If the hair accumulation is less, one can get it out through gloved hands. However, other devices are also used which includes drain stopper which is a thin metallic wire-like structure.
- Grease and Oil Fats: Just like hair clogs the bathroom drainage, grease and oil fats block the kitchen sink pipes. The fatty substance is the major cause which blocks the pipes and sinks in the kitchen. Slowly and gradually a thick layer of fatty components and other food particles stick into it thereby restricting the flow of water.
The best way to get rid of it is by pouring steaming boiled water. Don’t try to wash the grease through the pipes. It is not only unhygienic and smelly but also quite difficult to remove. Prefer expertise cleaning if the issue persists after boiling water also.
- Toiletries: Blocked drains or toilets are obviously a nasty scene. This generally happens when people try to flush down those objects that generally do not dissolve in water. It includes feminine hygiene products, dental floss or the cotton tabbed swabs.
In order to clean the drains, the very first option is to use the plunger. The best plunger often shoots the jet of water to clear the pipe. Apart from this drain auger which is handy can be used for the height of up to 2 to 5 feet. Regular cleaning should be done to ensure smooth water flow.
- Poor Installation: Bad installation is also the common reason which leads to the pipe and drains breakage. Though DIY hacks can be easier yet it is recommended not to install your own pipes and drainage system when you know nothing about it.
The best way to get rid of blocked drains is to get the entire system installed by an expert. They would perfectly install it with an appropriate water flow system that would minimally avoid drain blockages.
- Heavy Rain and Storms: Drains are designed for the minimal flow of water and it often gets flooded and blocked drains can be seen especially at the time of rainy season. Make sure it is regularly cleaned so that lumps of leaves and other materials carried by the storm are duly cleaned.
Inspect appropriately and get the blocked drains cleaned as soon as possible either through DIY methods or by the expert drain cleaners.