In these modern days, you will hardly find a mechanical lock installed in a door, especially in the smart homes. However, the question is whether these electronic or digital door locks are as safe and secure as the mechanical locks, leave aside more.
There are different points of interest that you should consider while choosing between electronic locks and mechanical locks.
- First, there is very little that can turn wrong in these locks making these go on and on for long time.
- Secondly, these some with extra layer of safety as compared to the mechanical locks as these comes with features like biometric and other control choices.
- Thirdly, these locks are simple, totally independent and brisk and fit on all doors.
- Fourthly, it needs no extra equipment.
- Fifthly, it is suitable for doors that have a very little framework.
Lastly, the best part of the digital door locks is that you can reprogram it any time. These locks have different applications whether it is for specific occasions or day to day use. It is the best lock to install in advanced entryways.
The innovative features
These keyless or digital door locks are so popular and marketable because of its innovative features. These locks can be outfitted with a touchpad lock. It will glow blue for better visibility of the keypad and can even be activated through a mobile phone. This touchpad is actually the ‘attention-getter.’
Even high-tech lock does not make any difference in the safety and security of your home on the point that in most of the cases the burglars enter a home either:
- Through an unlocked door or
- By forcing a door or window open.
In fact, most people favour security systems with camera surveillance and not on locks are the biggest tool that will deter the burglars. Burglars, being the criminals of opportunity, look for the areas that offer them with least resistance.
The smart locks of today are however more favoured by homeowners, even if it costs more, because these are more convenient to install and use. Again, the digital door locks are not anyway stronger than any regular locks. In fact, several tests showed that smart locks are easier to defeat. There are also a few specific downsides of these locks that are usually power-enabled.
- Especially during a power outage, even a fingerprint-reading lock can be broken using a paperclip inserting into it.
- Another disadvantage of these locks during power outage is that it may fail to disengage forcing you to use the backup key.
However, by following the basic security tips these locks can be extremely useful. Some simple steps like replacing the hollow-core of wood exterior doors with steel or solid wood doors, installing additional steel and strike plates, reinforcing wood door jambs and securing these with 3-inch screw and replacing the sidelight glass with break-resistant polycarbonate will make these locks more useful.
Reasons to upgrade your deadbolt
The digital door locks will upgrade your deadbolts and make you and your life smarter. You will not have to fish around for your keys ever again adding convenience to your life. The features in these locks include:
- Remote access
- Security screens and
- Voice control access.
These digital door locks will allow you to make a better and more stylish first impression.
The bottom line of the matter is that the digital door locks may be not right for all homeowners but will be the best it to meet the specific needs of a smart home. Better connectivity, high durability and built-in protections such as PIN requirement, emergency battery nodes, and decoy codes for keypads make it safe enough to upgrade your door.