People are always in a dilemma and tend to spend a lot of time while finding the perfect wheelchair for their purpose. The things which are initially come to mind while purchasing a wheelchair are- daily needs, comfort, and pricing. There is a wide variety of wheelchairs appropriate for different purposes including caregiver propelled a wheelchair, self-propelled wheelchair and standing wheelchair. If you are looking for a particular type of wheelchair you must have a good strategy and proper research. There are also big differences amongst the people who use wheelchairs like-
- Age– Children, young and other adults
- Gender– Girls and boys, women and men
- Type of Body– Each kind of body type- muscular, thin, overweight, average and many more
- Type of diagnosis or reason to use the wheelchair
- Activities which are going to be done sitting on the wheelchair
- Places where the wheelchair will be used
Here is a guide to help you to select the category of the wheelchair to buy the perfect one according to your purpose.
- Manual Wheelchair:- This category includes ten different types of wheelchairs which are mostly self-propelled. Only the travel and transport wheelchairs which are propelled by someone else as the user cannot reach the size of the rear wheel.
- Ergonomic Wheelchair:- This kind of wheelchairs are foldable and made of T6 ALuminium of the aircraft grade which is of extremely lightweight. Also, they have a seat frame of S-Shape which is patented Ergonomic. This seat frame helps in relieving the pressure throughout the body and the health problems with the bottom and the lower back is prevented. An anti-microbial barrier is provided through the Aegis Microbe Shield cushions which prevent staining, odor, fungus, deterioration caused by bacteria.
- Ultra Lightweight Wheelchair:- This kind of wheelchairs are very user-friendly because they are of lightweight, durable and foldable. So many options for wheelchair and accessories come under this category. They are perfect in terms of style, fit and performance. The components of these wheelchairs such as footrests and the height adjustable frame can easily be removed and adjusted.
- Light Weight Wheelchair:- This is an immensely upgraded option and has taken over the place of the heavy wheelchairs as the later is causing serious health hazards. A wide range of requirements and lifestyle options are covered by this kind of wheelchairs. These are easy to fold and portable. Though they are not as light as the wheelchairs of the previous category mentioned, they have become the norm in this particular industry.
- Transport Wheelchairs:- These wheelchairs ideal if your main requirements are portability and lightweight frame. Because of the smaller wheels, these are needed to be propelled by the caregiver. For this reason, they are also termed as ‘companion chairs’. These wheelchairs include- side panels, fixed armrests and swing-leg rest.
- Standard Wheelchairs:- This is the most commonly used wheelchair. This is made of a durable frame and provides long-lasting support. As this kind of wheelchairs are made of steel frames they are economical and a consistent choice.
- Recliner Wheelchairs:- Recline wheelchairs enable the user to recline safely and comfortably in incremental angels. There is optional elevating leg rests available with most of the wheelchairs of this kind for additional comfort.
- Tilt Wheelchair:- The position of the seat can be tilted by the user to a more comfortable setting in this kind of wheelchairs. Therefore, this kind of wheelchairs provide additional comfort and prevent health issues such as pressure sores. The pressure on the bottom and back is reduced as the user can balance the weight in the tilting motion.
- Active Wheelchair:- This is ideal for the users who lead to an active lifestyle and play sports because these wheelchairs are of the frame which ultra-lightweight and the height of the seats can be adjusted.