Polyurethane is a thermosetting polymer that is formed from the joining of the molecules of two or more organic chemicals. This material does not melt even on heating strongly and can be coloured very easily with the addition of any suitable pigment. The various useful properties of this chemical have made polyurethane products and these chemicals are also added with rubber to create urethane rubber that can be easily cut into smaller pieces. The polyurethane is now applied for various domestic purposes that benefit the people in daily life. Even people use some daily life products such as carry bags, plumbing attachments, electrical sockets and lots more made with polyurethane. But, without a scientific process, polyurethane products cannot be recycled and it is suggested to recycle these products to save the environment.
#6 Useful Applications of Polyurethane Products in Common Life:
- Rubber Shoes – When softer materials, like rubber is turned into a stiffer product with the application of polyurethane, those final products are broadly termed as elastomers and widely used for making comfortable footwear. Mainly the elastomers with lower density are utilized in manufacturing the rubber insoles of the shoes. The orthopaedic insoles are also prepared with these polyurethane products that are useful in the treatment of foot pains.
- All Types of Vehicles – The automobile industry now makes use of the polyurethane products as the elastomers replace the usual rubber bushings of the vehicles. The polyurethane is also used for increasing the durability of fibreglass body of the vehicles. The tyres and the wheels are made stiffer with the use of this polymer and you can find the same application for making the lawn mowers, wheelbarrows and carts. The polyurethane foams are widely used for making the seats, headrests and the armrests of the cars. These flexible foams may also be used in constructing the roof liners, dashboards and the instrument panels of the vehicles.
- Electrical Appliances – The electronic appliances are now entirely coated with polyurethane to make them shockproof and scratch resistant. As this polymer is a good adhesive over the fibre bodies, these appliances turn to be more durable. The electrical properties of these appliances can be enhanced by applying a mixture of polyurethane and resin over the electrical circuits running inside these appliances.
- Strong Adhesives – The polyurethane is the best ingredient that is used for the commercial manufacture of the adhesives or glues. Due to the immediate solidity of these polyurethane products in room temperatures and the very low viscosity of the adhesives, you can easily use this type of glue in joining the wooden surfaces and for bookbinding.
- Home Decor – Various home decor items are made with the applications of the flexible nature of polyurethane, mainly in the productions of foam cushions, carpets and mattresses that adorn the living rooms and the bedrooms. The wooden ceilings and the floors are made stronger by joining the wood boards with the polyurethane glue. The wooden surfaces may be thermally insulated by the applications of the polyurethane foams.
- Waterproof Fabrics – The waterproof and windproof nature of this polymer is used in making polyurethane fibre, which is named as Spandex. Hence, this type of fabric is widely used in making swimsuits, shower screens, diapers and outerwear, when combined with cotton or any synthetic fibre.
Therefore, the polyurethane products are hugely manufactured and commercially used in many industries. Even the paints and varnishes can be made more long-lasting with the addition of polyurethane to the pigments and other chemicals. So, if you need to develop any polyurethane product then you can contact the manufacturers and they will develop your products with their 3D tools.